Most house fire started in the kitchen. Stay safe when cooking by following these simple steps:
- Don’t leave food unattended on the stove.
- Never hang items such as tea towels near stoves or on cooking appliances
If oil or fat does catch alight when cooking:
- Turn off the heat
- If it is flaming, do not move it
- Cover the fire with a lid, wooden chopping board, or fire blanket
- Never use water – the burning oil or fat will explode and cause the fire to spread.
If you can’t extinguish the fire, dial triple zero (000) and put your escape plan into action